Saturday, 25 May 2013

Grand Canyon adventures

Grand Canyon, Monday May 20th, 2013

We are now about midway through our trip. The list of states crossed – some for only a few hours and others for many days – grows long.

Today was likely our last hike in canyon country. We leave the Grand Canyon tomorrow for a National Park (Mead Lake) just outside of Las Vegas. Again we will move from the cold weather of high altitudes to the unbelievably hot weather of the lower desert areas. Everything changes in extremes during this trip, especially the weather!

Speaking of weather I will include photos of our trip to Page, Arizona. We needed to take hot showers and to plug into electricity to recharge our van’s batteries, so we stayed in the town at a commercial campground (AKA a RV parking lot). The winds were furious so we ended up staying for two days. During that time we booked a tour of Antelope Slot Canyon, which is accessible only through Navajo tour companies. 

The slot canyon (which comically Marie-Andrée pronounces “slut” canyons) were beautiful but because they are so popular with tourists and many (most?) tourist’s primary purpose for visiting a place seems to be to get the perfect photo, the tour focused almost exclusively on this. Yet another photo-op, which was a bit disappointing to me, but I am glad to have seen Antelope Canyon all the same. I must admit that we got some beautiful photos, too!



After the winds seemed to calm we moved away from town and off to the shores of Lake Powell (an artificial lake created by damming the Colorado River) where we camped directly on the beach. 

In the photo below you can see that other people were camping here, too. In fact as the evening advance, more high school kids showed up with coolers of beer and loud music -- it was the last day of school... we didn't get much sleep that night, but that is another story...

This was a place I had been dreaming about staying since the conception of this trip. I imaged kayaking into slot canyons, which would be emerged in the turquoise waters of Lake Powell, allowing us to silently drift into them and quietly explore. Off we set in our kayak, set-up in tandem mode. 
We started paddling down wind and with the current – everything was beautiful. I did see a very dark cloud formation with a hole-like-formation in the middle, but I didn’t want to be a party-pooper, so I ignored it. Ignoring something, as I soon learned, does not make it go away! As we were exploring the first inlet (not really a slot) I noticed the winds picking up and it started to rain. I suggested we make our way back to the campsite and as we arrived at the main part of the lake, the white caps were breaking gently at first and then more and more furiously. Without speaking, Marie-Andrée and I both paddled harder and harder, trying to get back as rapidly as possible. The problem was that we had never kayaked this boat in tandem mode before (I had taken it out in the ocean, as you read in my past blogs) but this was Marie-Andrée’s first time in it. It is much more tipsy than our other kayak and as the white caps turned into surf, the boat started to sway. Did I mention that Lake Powell is a very deep lake and that the water is very cold? We stayed as close to shore as possible but I had setup the skeg incorrectly and the boat kept turning away from shore and towards the middle of the lake. We worked so hard that my hands are blistered and painful still. We made it, though and without tipping. Phew. Exciting but frightening! I am starting to wonder if this boat will be the end of me!

That is not the end of the story, however. Once back on shore and very tired from the exertion, we needed to carry the boat back to the campsite (very difficult given the wind gusts and the uphill climb through sand to get to our site). The next moment of excitement came when we tried to tie the boat down using every rope and bungee we had so it wouldn’t get blown away. I was kneeling in the sand, tying it to the hitch but the sand was whipping against my face and eyes. We were literally caked in sand. We also had to get the tent-top of the van  “popped” down quickly so it would not rip off. I am not a small person but even pulling with all my weight I couldn't get the top locked down. Every time I released even a little, the roof “popped” back up out of control. Thank goodness that Marie-Andrée was their -- together we were able to pull on the roof and lock it down safely. Later that evening, when the parks people came by to make sure everyone on the beach was OK, they told us that they had seen wind rip the tops off these vans in the past… So, only one eventful night on Lone Rock Beach and only one kayaking excursion to slot canyons (which we never did see). Once the storm passed, however, the evening was beautiful -- you would have never known what it had been like just a few hours previously!!
Off the next day, dirty and tired, towards the Grand Canyon, but first, on the way out of town, we stopped back at the campground in Page that we stayed in ... we still had the code to the bathrooms and we were in real need of a shower to rid us of all the imbedded sand so we snuck into the showers and got clean again! :)

All my life I have wanted to see the Grand Canyon. I expected a moment of spiritual epiphany when I would finally see it. I thought my world would change – BGC (Before Grand Canyon) and AGC (After Grand Canyon). But it didn’t. I felt almost like I was staring at a post card instead of seeing the real thing. 


Now after 3 days here and 2 full days of hiking, I can see the Grand Canyon in it’s splendor and it is beautiful. I have come to realize that to really see a place, you have to walk in and around it. Just looking at it from a safe distance makes it flat and unmoving.


 During our hike down into the canyon today I felt waves of dizziness from vertigo. The EDGE is always there in my peripheral vision. Marie-Andrée tried to be helpful and told me: “just don’t look”. Just don’t look at the Grand Canyon when you are on a rim and the depths are lurking below??? How can you not look???? And why would you even come to the Grand Canyon if you can’t look at it???? At some point during today’s hike, I just couldn’t go any further. Not from fatigue but from fear.  I wished that I had blinders, like a horse, so that I could pretend that it was just a trail, like any other trail. What is weird is that people climb all over the edge without believing they could fall. As I watch them my mind iterally starts to see each one of them falling into the depths below. My reaction is to leave and to get somewhere far from the edge and far from other people!

As I was downloading todays photos – once again faded by the bright mid-day sun, I wondered why it is we never take any lovely sunrise or sunset photos. Then I remembered an important detail: sunrise is at coffee hour and sunset is at cocktail hour!!! Of course we have no warm lit photos – one must have priorities!! And then I had an epiphany: the “Enhance” button of my iPhotos program! It creates the warm light of sunrise and sunset without having to miss either of my two favorite times to be back at the campsite! OK… not as beautiful as the real thing, but then again: priorities!

Tomorrow we start making our way to Las Vegas (Vega in Spanish means Meadows). So out of nature and into the glitz and glimmer of Las Vegas we will go. We will keep you posted! We have a place to park our van at the home of one of the Cirque du Soleil artists, who is the niece of friends of Marie-Andrée's  (Sylvie and her husband Michel) who are also traveling in this area in their pop-up van and will be with us during our stay in Las Vegas.  We are going to the show Kà, in which Marylène is performing!! She got us tickets which is unbelievably generous!! We will also see the show Love. We will tell you about all that on the next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment